ISO 4587 Adhesives Tensile Lap Shear Strength Rigid to Rigid
ISO 4587 is used to measure the strength of a cured bond. This is a critical characteristic of any adhesive, as they can exhibit unique shear properties. Manufacturers use this test method to investigate the shear properties of bonded rigid assemblies where the force applied is perpendicular to the load. This test is performed on materials such as metal, plastic, wood, and composites.
The test is run on rigid assembles bonded via a lap joint, causing the two ends of the specimen to be offset from the vertical load line of the test. It is critical that the gripping solution can account for this in order to ensure a true shear force application. A stress is applied to the specimens at a rate of 8.3 to 9.8 MPa per minute and the breaking load and shear strength are reported.The challenges of testing to this standard are:
- Compliance with the standard
- Gripping materials of varying thickness
- Eliminating slippage throughout the test
- Compliance with the standard – Bluehill® Universal comes with pre-configured test methods and supporting documentation to ensure that you are testing according to ISO 4587.
- Gripping materials of varying thickness – When testing lap shear specimen, the lap joint results in offset specimen ends. Instron's screw action grips can be adjusted and offset to ensure that the specimen remains centered in the load string.
- Eliminating slippage throughout the test – The advanced screw action grips employ a patented “quick-change” jaw face design which enables operators to easily change jaw faces to accommodate the needs of their materials. Pneumatic grips can also be used for thinner substrates and are capable of maintaining consistent gripping pressure throughout the test.
It is important to review ISO 4587:2003 in order to fully understand the test setup, procedure, and results requirements.
Screw side-action grips provide a very simple and efficient method for holding test specimens in a wide range of applications. The dual - acting design of 2710-100 series grips means that jaw faces can be adjusted to accommodate different specimen thicknesses. This ensures that the line of tensile force remains concentric with the grip body. They can be equipped with a selection of interchangeable grip jaw faces in various sizes and choice of surfaces including smooth ground, rubber-coated and serrated. Line contact and special coated faces are also available.The unique ‘snap-on’ jaw face attachment makes changing faces extremely quick and simple.
- 1.3 MB
Die Prüfmaschinenserie 3300 wurde für die Anforderungen standardisierter und routinemäßiger Prüfungen entwickelt. Diese Serie stellt dem Benutzer Instron-Qualität zu einem sehr günstigen Preis zur Verfügung.
- 1.3 MB
5900 Universal Testing Systems are engineered for precision, built for durability, and offer the flexibility for changing requirements. They are designed with standard and optional features that increase testing efficiency and improve the testing experience for the operator. A wide range of models are available for testing capacities from < 100N up to 600kN.
- 2.8 MB