Candy Puncture Testing with Puncture Probe
The confectionery sector is a diverse segment of the food industry containing an assortment of texture consistencies driven by market expectations. Each texture consistency is produced through an individualized manufacturing process that combines a differentiating mixture of ingredients. On a mass production scale, confectionery manufacturers must ensure quality while meeting the desires of the consumer. To check if a particular candy possesses the intended texture attributes, one can employ mechanical testing methods to replicate many of the potential physical interactions between a consumer and the product itself. One such method is referred to as puncture and penetration testing.
Puncture and penetration testing is a compression test that uses a probe, which is generally smaller than the sample, to puncture the surface of the sample. The test can characterize a variety of texture properties, such as consistency, firmness, and puncture strength.
- No ASTM/ISO standards exist for confectionery product sensory texture tests, as such testing is not required by the FDA
- Developing fixtures to repeatably simulate physical interactions between consumer and candy
- Setting pass/fail criteria for test results in a quality control lab setting
- No ASTM/ISO Standards – Instron has provided standard and custom solutions to customers testing food products within many sectors of the food industry. Standards may not exist, but common practices do and Instron has solutions for them. For unique testing needs, the Instron Engineering Solutions Group is dedicated to fulfilling any custom product requests.
- Puncture and Penetration Fixtures – Instron offers a Puncture Probe Set, which includes nine probes of varying styles and shapes designed for puncture and penetration testing.
- Pass/Fail Criteria – Bluehill® Universal Software allows the user to assign pass/fail limits to any test result to ensure the user is aware whether the result is acceptable or not.
As the world's leading supplier of material testing systems, Instron offers a wide range of texture testing solutions for the food industry
- 1.2 MB
Flat-end puncture probes produce a shear stress in the specimen. The force required to cause shearing as the probe penetrates the specimen relates to texture properties such as firmness and hardness.
- 0.7 MB
Bluehill Universal Software is built from the ground-up for touch interaction and an intuitive user experience. Discover simpler and smarter testing with features such as pre-loaded test methods, QuickTest in seconds, enhanced data exporting: and Instron Connect – a new feature that provides a direct communication link to Service. Users of previous versions of software such as Bluehill 2 and Bluehill 3 can easily upgrade to the newest version of Bluehill.
- 2.6 MB
Die Prüfmaschinenserie 3300 wurde für die Anforderungen standardisierter und routinemäßiger Prüfungen entwickelt. Diese Serie stellt dem Benutzer Instron-Qualität zu einem sehr günstigen Preis zur Verfügung.
- 1.3 MB
5900 Universal Testing Systems are engineered for precision, built for durability, and offer the flexibility for changing requirements. They are designed with standard and optional features that increase testing efficiency and improve the testing experience for the operator. A wide range of models are available for testing capacities from < 100N up to 600kN.
- 6.8 MB